Saturday, April 23, 2011

2011 Garden Irrigation - Project

Please visit and like my new facebook page Georgia Home Garden.


Now that I have built my square foot garden area in my yard, I have found a problem with irrigation. My water faucet is located on the back of my house, and to water my garden I have to drag my hose from the back of the house, through my gravel patio, around my pavers while being careful not to hook the hose on anything. I thought it sure would be nice if I had a water faucet directly in the middle of my yard for easy access to my garden and other areas of my yard. So I did the lazy man's version, I went to Home Depot and bought a stand alone faucet, PVC elbow, 12 inch PVC pipe, and PVC hose adapter, all with threaded connections. Total cost was 10 bucks, and I put it all together using pipe dope on the threads. I took an old 4X4 post I had and placed it in the corner of my square foot garden area in concrete. I attached my 10 dollar faucet setup and my existing hose rack to the post. I bought a separate 50 ft garden hose and ran that from the back of my house to the bottom of my faucet assembly. I hid the hose by buring it under the rocks in my gravel patio and tucking it behind the pine straw in my garden area. While I could have made the connection via PVC rather than a hose, this would have required digging a trench through my garden area and my newly built gravel patio, something I didn't really want to do. Although I do have to turn on the faucet on the house first and then the one in my garden area, I really like this setup and it was very easy to do.









Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Annie*s Granny said...

It looks nice, too. I dislike hoses strung all over the garden, and spent the weekend doing something similar, attaching my hoses to existing risers in the garden, then snaking them around and behind things, and covering them with straw!

Kris said...

Thanks, I appreciate it. Hopefully it will make watering a little bit easier. Is Alicyn your granddaughter, she sure is cute. She looks almost the age of my daughter who is four.
Happy Easter to you. God is good!

Annie*s Granny said...

Yes, Alicyn is my granddaughter, but she's only 2-1/2. Almost everyone thinks she's three or four years old. Her birth and newborn photos were published on my blog, so long time readers know all about her. She has to make an occasional appearance to please old friends ;-)

Kris said...

She is precious, and I can tell you are proud of her. I know you are teaching her all about gardening. Have a good day.