Saturday, December 31, 2011

Garden Expansion and How to Remove a Tree Stump - Part 2

Please visit and like my new facebook page Georgia Home Garden.

I detailed in part 1 of this post what my plans were for expanding my garden and now I am going to detail how I removed the stump.  I have gotten to be pretty good at removing stumps for some reason.  I have removed half a dozen of them at various times in my life and I have learned the easiest way to extract them.  I know it sounds weird, but I find it kind of fun digging and carefully extracting a tree stump free.  I have listed below my method of removing stumps, and I hope you find this helpful.

Here are tools I recommend using when removing a stump.
Pick ax - Used for breaking up soil around roots
Ax - Used for chopping small roots
Regular shovel - Used for digging around stump
Garden Rake - Used for raking away debris and soil
Chain Saw - An absolute must have in my opinion.  You will
wear yourself out trying to chop big thick roots with just an ax.
A chain saw works great if you are careful and pay attention.


Step 1 - Clear your work area by removing any sticks or debris away from the area you are going to be working in.  In my case this involved raking away a thick layer of pine straw and mulch.


Step 2 - Dig, Dig, Dig and then dig some more.  Don't go straight in there with an ax trying to use brute force to remove a stump.  You aren't Paul Bunyan and you will just get frustrated.  Also, don't dig right up against the stump, that is where all the roots are.  Depending on the size of the tree, start digging 3 to 6 feet away from the stump.  You can see in this picture I didn't dig right up next to the stump, I started away.


Step 3 - When you encounter roots around the perimeter of your dig, chop them with your ax.  If the roots are larger than 2 inches in diameter I recommend cutting those with a chain saw.  Just dig all around the root and make sure it is fully exposed.  Dig all the dirt from underneath the root as well, this will give you a clear path to cut it with your saw.  This two pictures below show a root that I exposed and then removed with my chain saw.



Step 4 - Continue step 3 by working your away around the perimeter of the tree.  Once you have circled the entire tree stump, then you can start digging closer to the actual stump itself.  This method is good because by working out and then in, you have given yourself plenty of room to dig under the stump.  In the two pictures below you can see where I have made a path and I am starting to dig under the stump on one side.



Step 5 - Dig down directly under the stump to access any tap roots that are anchoring the tree and preventing it from being removed.  In my case there were three small tap roots and I was able to whack them with my ax.  Sometimes you can rock the stump back and forth and they will give way too.

Digging down deep will allow you to rock the stump on its side


I pushed the stump on its side to access the tap roots.


Once you get at the tap roots, the stump should come right out.  This was a decent sized tree, 25 to 30 feet tall and the stump was about 1 foot thick at its base.


Step 6 -  Once the stump is out, you will now have to pull up all the perimeter roots.  Sometimes this requires more digging, sometimes you can just pull them up.  Refill the hole with dirt and you are done.


Here are all the roots from my tree including the perimeter roots.


I still have a lot of work to do, but the tree is completely gone and I have pulled up 75% of the roots.  I am sure I will find some more roots that I missed when I till the ground in the spring.  The entire process for this tree took me 2 hours, which isn't that bad.  The key is to have a chain saw for the thicker roots, and my ground was really easy to dig.

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Great advice for removing a stump. This post will come in handy for me in the spring. We will be removing several trees that were planted too close to the house by the previous owner.

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

We had to use a chain wrapped under the stump and drag it out by car, it was a tough job made easier.

Kris said...

Grafix - Thanks and good luck with removing your trees. What kind of trees are they?

Ginny - I have used the chain method also, and it works good for loosening the stump.

Removing tree stumps said...

Selection of pic is very nice and your writing style is also unique which is most important.

[url="http://statewidetreeservice.com.au/"]Removing tree stumps[/url]

Unknown said...

Great article on how to remove a stump, I never would have thought that a good way to remove a tree stump would be to use shovels and other tools.

-Samudaworth Tree Service
Tree Service Brooklyn

Kris said...

Thanks Ken.

Kris said...

Thanks Ken.

Anonymous said...

Found your way to be the efficient way of stump grinding and i don't think now i need to hire Stump Grinding Birmingham AL expert for stump grinding as now i myself can do this using this procedure.

Unknown said...

I used to do a lot of landscaping as a kid. I always hated dealing with trees. When my family decided to remove our old oak tree, my dad rented a crane. That was a good day to only know how to mow lawns. http://www.hitreetrimming.com/team

Unknown said...

Really great news!!! this information is well worth looking everyone. Good tips. I will be sharing this with all of my friends! Thank you for sharing valuable information. Stump removal company is Stump removal Perth. we are also best stump removal Perth company. get all stump grinding solution in Perth Hills.

Unknown said...

Tree Removal is the word identified with tree surgery and the An expert and experienced arboricultural organization giving prevalent tree contracting and consultancy administrations around Adelaide and South Australia.We give administrations, for example, Tree Pruning, Tree Removal, Stump Grinding, and so forth. We offer exhortation and administration alternatives though your tree couldn't care less necessities. for More insights with respect to the Tree Removal
For More Details: http://www.adelaidetreesurgery.com/service-stump_grindingremoval.php

Unknown said...


Trees are as much important to our life as food and water.Thanks for sharing useful information regarding tree removal and other issues related to trees.For more information Tree Removal Adelaide

Helen T. Jones said...

I got some great information about How to Remove a Tree Stump. I was seeking to know about How to Remove a Tree Stump and I found your blog post where you told clearly.I appreciate and thank to provide this informative post with us.I read some reviews on it and I found this- Best tree remove tips

Unknown said...

Nice Blog. Thanks for sharing great information for how to remove the tree stumps. http://bit.ly/2o7qcyd

DMS Tree Company said...

Great information… Tree removal service will add authentic beauty to your home garden. We always offer professional tree cutting service to keep our client happy.

Anonymous said...

Every body needs to clear and nobody needs to secure and plant new Arborist Auckland, so plenteous open portal has legitimately past to stop playing around and do it in a completely last manner to ensure we continue getting love for nature.

The Tree Doctor said...

Thanks for the blog! Really give the informative value step by step. The Tree Doctor offers the best services of tree and really done the good is that it cannot damage the trees.

MONJIL said...

I have read this blog post. Very informative blog site. Stumped about proper tree care? Rely on the professional arborists of Superior Tree Solutions in St. Catharines. Our services include tree planting, pruning, transplanting and removal. We are also equipped to handle large tree removals and stump grinding. Contact us today for an estimate. Look at our local Hamilton Tree Removal

Complete Tree Experts said...

I have this blog and find this blog as a useful and informative. Your researches and hard working are really appreciate-able. Thanks for sharing this post. You can also check Stump Removal in Sydney for more details about this service.

treemendoustree said...

If you botch the tree removal it could result in a re-growth of the tree from a stump that was not handled properly. It could also lead to damage to cars, power lines, homes, and people.

Sydney Tree Removals

Ross H. William said...

Nice post. Thanks for sharing this article.
Tree Services Sydney
Arborist Sydney
Removing Tree Stump Sydney

Emily Coates said...

Nice post! Thanks for sharing this blogpost. Hire Cheap and Expert Emergency Tree Services in Sydney