Friday, January 13, 2012

First Seeds of 2012 Purchased

Please visit and like my new facebook page Georgia Home Garden.

We were at Wally World tonight and they have started putting out some of their vegetable seeds. They didn't have a huge selection, but they did have my corn that I love to plant. I picked up 4 large packets of corn, 2 Silver Queen and 2 Peaches and Cream Corn. I also grabbed one packet of what I call English Peas. My wife says she really likes them so I am going to give them a try. I want to pick up some white acre peas and butter beans, but I will probably have to get those at my local nursery. Everything else I can reuse the same seed packets from last year. I have them stored in my fridge, and hopefully I will still get good germination rates from them.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Luis Tobon said...

I also bought a bunch of seeds at Wally World too. I found Burpee packs at under $1 at Wally World too. Some outdoor seeds will be, hopefully, be done this weekend.

Ed said...

English peas are as easy to grow as snow peas. You will to plant more however. A bowl of english pea pods will be reduced by at least half when shelled. They are also like corn for fresh eating. The sugar starts to converting to starch when picked, so try and use them as soon as possible. Try a few raw, you'll be amazed at the sweet taste. Lastly, mine always grow much taller than the listed height.

Cristy said...

The English peas were what my kids ate straight from the garden last year. Very sweet when raw and fresh. YUM.

Kris said...

Luis - I noticed at my local WalMart the prices went up about 30% this year. I could buy small packets of Ferry Morse seeds for 1.00. This year the same seeds were 1.29. I guess everything is going up these days.

Ed - Thanks for the tips on growing the peas. I hope to get mine in the ground this weekend.

Cristy - I can't wait to try some fresh peas. I have got my daughter eating white acre peas from my garden. If I can get her to eat English peas, that would be awesome.

Unknown said...

Hi guys, don't forget that you can use the pea pods too.. you can make pea pod soup, seriously. Take it from an Englishwoman living in Canada..lol
You cook the pea pods until they're tender then blend them and push them through a sieve to make sure there's no stringy bits..You can add cream or milk if you use dairy or rice or almond milk if you're vegetarian/vegan... add seasonings to your taste.. It tastes exactly as a pea soup does...

Aran

Kris said...

Aran - I didn't know you could do that. Thanks for sharing that tip.