Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Best Peas of All Time

Please visit and like my new facebook page Georgia Home Garden.

Cow peas, field peas, butter peas, southern peas, zipper peas: I don't care what you call them they are all just the same name for southern style peas.  They grow in pods that look like beans and you shell the peas that are inside the pods.  People have their particular favorite too: black eyes, purple hulls, crowder peas, you name it.

For me without a doubt, my favorite pea of this type is the White Acre pea.  In my opinion, nothing comes close to the taste and texture of White Acre peas.  Tonight I made a batch for dinner to go with some left over baby back ribs.  My favorite way to make these peas is to boil them for 45 minutes to an hour on low heat.  I boil them with salt, butter, and sliced up kielbasa sausage.  The peas absorb the salt, butter, and sausage flavors and they taste great this way.  I don't know what it is about the texture, but these taste so much better than black eyes or purple hulls to me.

I didn't have any seeds this year to plant so I had to buy a couple of bushels from the local farmers market.  I am drying some of them, so hopefully I can grow my own next year.

If you have never tried them, give them a shot.

No comments: