I had a busy week in the garden. I pulled out two beds of English peas that were a snarled mess. I don't know if I will grow them next year because they were a real pain in the butt to harvest and to shell.
My electric pea sheller would not shell them, only the smaller flatter pods. The Mr. Pea electric pea sheller gets two thumbs down when trying to shell English peas. Hopefully it will make up for it when the field peas come this summer.
I also harvested some lettuce this week and I got to eat several salads. I know I should probably venture out and try planting different varieties of lettuce, but I have such good luck with this Great Lakes #118. It tastes great and is easy to grow. I have been using the same seed packet for a couple years now.
Here is my first lettuce harvest this spring
Here is a batch of English peas after I shelled them
Here is a basket full of peas, this was 3 lbs worth after I pulled both beds.
It took me over an hour to shell them,
but it was enough peas to fill a metal bread pan