Thursday, April 28, 2011

2011 Garden - Tangled Snow Peas

Please visit and like my new facebook page Georgia Home Garden.

So the good news is my snow peas are ready for harvest, but the bad news is they are a completely snarled and tangled mess. I am harvesting a good handful of snow peas every day. I prepared my first quart size ziplock bag for freezing, and I hope I have many more to come.

Back to the snarled mess, we had a really bad rain storm on Monday and the peas completely fell over. I built my trellis 3 feet high because the snow peas were only supposed to get four feet high. Well they were at least five feet high when they collapsed from the weight of the heavy rain. They collapsed right at the 3 foot mark which was the top of the trellis. Most of the pea stems kinked and snapped and there is no hope of them growing straight again. They are still putting out flowers and pods, but it has made harvesting them a nightmare because now they are growing into themselves instead of up.

This was probably going to be the last year I planted the taller variety of snow peas anyways, but this has sealed their fate. The Oregon Sugar Pod II's don't require trellising and they only grow a couple of feet high. If they produce well than I won't grow the taller variety. I still have a lot to learn, and this has been a good learning experience.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to see you are harvesting such a great amount of pea pods. Sorry about the tangled mess though. No matter how long you garden, you are always learning as things don't always turn out as planned :)

Kris said...

Thanks for the encouragement.