Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Update on Seedlings - March 7th

Please visit and like my new facebook page Georgia Home Garden.

It has been three weeks since I started my own seeds.  Everything seems to be working the way it should be.  I find myself saying just one more tomato should be ok to up pot, just one more jalapeno plant, a few more eggplants.  It is just so hard to throw them away once you see them germinate.

So far I have moved to bigger card board pots the following:
3 Roma Tomatoes
3 Better Boy Tomatoes
3 Best Boy Tomatoes
4 Habanero Peppers
5 Jalapeno Peppers
2 Bell Peppers
3 Eggplants

The more I keep, the more I am struggling on where I will find space in the garden for it all.  My corn and peas take up a lot of space as it is.  I may end up growing some in containers, maybe my coca cola cooler can become a jalapeno and habanero coca cola cooler.

Here are the majority of the little guys

4 comments:

Jenny Rottinger said...

Completely understand now wanting to trow away anything that already sprouted. I have my seedlings too but the priority goes to what i can save for later. Do you plant peas next to the corn or by itself? I usually do trinity - squash, 4 corn stalks around squash and 2 climbing beans per corn that they use as a trelis.

Kris said...

I plant my corn and peas separately. I guess I should have been more specific, I was meaning my field peas (cowpeas). I think I am going to devote my garden expansion to just corn and peas and plant everything else in my raised beds. At least that is the plan for now, I am sure it will change.

Ed said...

The seedlings are looking good. If your containers are large enough you should be able to grow any of your seedlings in them.

Kris said...

Thanks Ed, they are getting there. I think I am definitely going to turn my coca cola cooler into a giant pepper pot and plant jalapenos and habaneros in it. That will free up space to plant my bell peppers and eggplants in my raised beds. I could just solve the problem by only growing what I like to eat. I don't even like hot peppers or bell peppers, but for some reason like to try and grow them.