The expansion of my upper gardening area has been a gradual work in process for the past nine months. This area will give me 16 x 25 feet of gardening area for a total of 400 sq feet. I will mostly plant field peas and corn up here.
In May of last year I cut down a 25 to 30 ft October Glory red maple tree that was shading the area, details here. Then in January of this year, I removed the stump and most of the roots that were left, details here and here.
So here we are in March, and just a few weeks before I can start planting some of my favorites. So today after church I had to get it in gear to finish my expansion. All that is left to do is to till the entire area and put a border around it using bricks. I got the border done in a few hours and tried to get everything as clean as I could. I am going to rent a tiller next week and till the entire area.
This is the existing area and you can see the four foot strip that I was using outlined by bricks. Weeds were bad in a few spots.
First thing I did was measure down 16 feet from the fence line at both ends and drove a metal garden stake in the ground. I tied a string to each stake to give me a straight line to lay my bricks. I raked the area to get it as smooth as I could. I am not going for perfection here, and I just dry laid the bricks to segregate the area that I will be gardening in.
This was how it looked after the first row of bricks were laid. Looks straight enough for me.
This was after the second row of bricks. Now all that is left is to till everything up.