I detailed in part 1 the purpose behind this project and in part 2 the amount of prep work needed to prepare for it. Finally after doing all the prep work I was ready to lay the sod. Laying sod has to be one of the most back breaking jobs I have done. The up and down, up and down, up and down makes it hard work. This is the second time I have laid sod, the first was my front yard 10 years ago. I can say that 10 years makes a difference on your body.
I had a total of four pallets of grass to lay down, and each pallet covers 500 sq. ft. I also had the challenge of matching up the new grass to the existing grass. I must have measured pretty well because I ran out of grass with just a little left to do. I picked up 20 more squares at my local nursery to finish the job.
Well I survived my own hell week. It was so much work to get done in just a week, but I am happy that I did it. My back held up pretty well, but my right knee has been sore for over a week. I have been watering the grass every day for the last week and it is starting to green up nicely. Hopefully over the next few weeks it will take root.
I started laying in the far end of my yard it was nice and cool that morning.
I used a small hatchet to trim the sod nice and tight to the rock wall.
It worked well.
Working my way up the hill.
I left two areas unsodded, this is one of them.
I am going to plant some knockout roses and flowers here.
Here is what it looked like after all the pallets were laid. You can see the small area I had left. You can also see the grass is yellow because this was laid last and was at the bottom of the pallet.
Here is that same area after a week of watering, much greener.
The hill is still there, but so much better than before.
I used black garden soil to blend the old grass to the new.
This should grow together and disappear.
Same area after a week of watering.
A view from the garden looking out.
Opposite side, looking towards the garden.