This morning I noticed one of my corn plants was leaning to one side and upon inspection I realized it was the weight of the ear pulling it in the direction it was leaning. I was not expecting for this corn to be ready yet because it was only at 61 days since planting, but sure enough most of it was ready. I had to get it in gear this morning and prepare everything for freezing. For more detail on how I prepare my corn for freezing see this post.
This batch came from one of my 4X8 raised beds that I planted 72 seeds spaced 10 inches apart. The total harvest this morning was 33 ears with a total weight of 16.40 pounds. I expect to get an additional 10 to 15 ears from what is left, but they will be the smaller runts of the group. I was hoping to get one ear per plant for a total of 70 ears, but it looks more like I will get 45 to 50 ears.
This was my second planting. I have a third planting that is about a foot tall, and I am going to experiment with ammonium nitrate fertilizer on it. I am hoping that this will create more explosive growth and more production of ears. I look forward to trying a few ears tonight with some BBQ ribs.
Here is my harvest basket full of peaches and cream corn.