Sunday, October 2, 2011

My Perfect Weekend

Please visit and like my new facebook page Georgia Home Garden.

It is not often that I stray and talk about something other than gardening on my blog, but sometimes you have to mix it up.  I am thankful for every day the Lord gives me on this earth, but there are some days that all is right with the world and I am filled with a sense of peace, contentment, and well being with my life.

This weekend I had a few of those days.  We started by waking up early on Saturday for my daughter's soccer game.  The morning was clear and crisp with the temperature in the 50's.  Her regular coach was not there this game so I had the opportunity to help out with the kids.  Seeing all those 4 and 5 year olds running around is always really cool.  My daughter just wanted me to keep giving all her teammates high fives and fist bumps, but I explained to her that we have to actually play soccer too.  We left the soccer game and headed over to McDonald's because I always promise her a butter biscuit after her early soccer games.

After scarfing down my biscuit, I had to get my 'Ol Red ready for sell.   I sold my old truck to a nice old man who was going to use it for his plumbing business.  Selling my truck completed the transaction of upgrading from my old truck to my new truck.  Speaking of my new truck, that was another highlight of this weekend.  I finally got my truck back from the mechanic and it is purring like a kitten now.  Me and my daughter drove it everywhere this weekend, and I love having a newer truck with an actual radio and air conditioning.  I got the truck about a month ago, but it had a burnt exhaust valve.  It runs like a new truck now and I love it.

My daughter and I ate lunch at our favorite hot dog place called Cook's Hot Dogs and then it was time to take an afternoon nap.  Once we woke up from our nap, we loaded up in the truck and drove around to look at houses.  It was getting dark and the weather was starting to cool again, so we decided to pick up some firewood and fire up the fire pit for the first time this season.  Sitting in the backyard around the fire pit, I just soaked up being with my wife and daughter.  Life was good.

Sunday we slept in instead of going to church because my wife was feeling a little sick.  After watching our church service on TV, I went out and planted some more spinach seeds.  The first batch I planted was a bust.  After cleaning up from my gardening, in the afternoon I got to share in some male fellowship with a group of men from our church.  We all went to see the new movie Courageous.  This is the new movie from the same people that did Facing the Giants and Fireproof.  The movie was awesome and I highly recommend all fathers to go see it.  After the movie we all went to eat Mexican food and discuss the movie.  The movie made me think a lot about what a good father is and what areas I need to work on to be a better father.  After dinner I headed home and as soon as I walked through the door I hear, "Daddy, I missed you so much, give me a big hug!"  What better way to cap off the weekend but with another evening sitting around the fire pit.

God is good, all the time.  I hope your weekend was as good as mine.

4 comments:

Cristy said...

That's awesome! I love to hear about happy family times.

Kris said...

Thanks Cristy, I hope all is well with yours too. How is your fall garden coming?

Ribbit said...

Nothing like the love of a 4-5 yr old. Log those minutes while you can. Soon she'll be refusing to hug you in public.

Kris said...

Ribbit you better believe those moments go into my long term memory bank. She is already getting stingy with giving me a kiss when I drop her off at Pre K. I bet next year when she start kindergarten they will stop altogether.