Saturday, June 23, 2012

Georgia Home Garden Corn Harvest

Please visit and like my new facebook page Georgia Home Garden.

I spent this morning harvesting the last of the corn from my Spring plantings.  I have been cherry picking ears for dinner this week, but I spent a few hours prepping and freezing the rest of the peaches and cream corn.  I harvested 42 pounds in this batch, and it was a lot of work.  I did everything outside using my big turkey fryer and cooler as seen detailed in this post here.  This made short work of the blanching part, but it is so hot outside today and very humid.  I ended up with nine more gallon sized freezer bags to add to my stockpile.  It was a productive morning. 

 I filled my basket twice


Here is the same basket after shucking


Final product, nine bags of corn.


I did a good job cleaning the weeds out last week and
this is what I am left with.  It shouldn't be too much work
to turn this around and get some peas in the ground and......


....I have already got my next batch of corn sprouting.
This is Silver Queen in one of my 4x4 raised beds.

14 comments:

Jenny Rottinger said...

YUM! That's alot of corn but I'm sure you'll enjoy it in winter :)

Tomato Thymes said...

Wow that is great. I may try growing corn again next year.

Lisa

Cristy said...

Man, I bet you were hot, if your weather was anything like ours. That's a great harvest. :)

Kris said...

Jenny - It seems like a lot, but it goes fast. I try to space out how often I eat it to make it last a year.

Lisa - Corn has its challenges, but I like to grow it, I say go for it.

Cristy - It is unreal how hot it feels today. I just checked online and it is 96 F with 31% humidity, but the dew point is 60 F. It feels like the amazon jungle outside.

Bernadine said...

Nice work. I'm going to be getting more beds ready for a different crop too. I like that you weigh your produce. It's a great idea. I may do that in a few years. I always get great ideas from your garden. Thanks.

Kris said...

Thanks Bernadine, I got the idea of weighing what I harvest from Annie's Kitchen Garden. Her blog is great if you aren't already following it.

http://annieskitchengarden.blogspot.com/

I bought a basic digital food scale off of amazon.com and I keep a basic spreadsheet to track my numbers. I then transfer that information to my side bar totals in my blog. It is pretty simple to do if you want the HTML code to do it.

Cristy said...

Kris, I bet it did feel like the Amazon. But you powered through and got it done. Good job.

Kris said...

Thanks Christy...I tried to stay cool. I went out tonight and tilled the entire area and planted five rows of pinkeye purple hulls. It is good to be done.

Kris said...

I spelled your name right....sorry my tablet had auto spell turned on and changed it.

The Stay @ Home-Gardener said...

Kris, You really do love your corn. :) Corn is one of the major starches that has sustained civilization over mankind's history. Corn, potatoes, wheat, oats, barley, millet, etc. Looking forward to ours coming along. It is interesting to read these different gardening blogs and seeing where/what people choose to cram in numerous plantings of. ;)

Unknown said...

That is a great corn harvest! Smart to blanch them outside so as not to heat up the house, but wow it must have been really hot. Believe it or now we had some humid 90˚F days this week too.

Kris said...

Stay @ Home - Yeah, I am a regular old corn dawg. I enjoy my corn and field peas, partly because they are so good, partly because I like the fact that they have been grown for thousands of years.

Grafix - You hit the nail on the head, it keeps the house from getting all hot. Yeah, I heard about the heat wave you guys had up there, hopefully it doesn't last.

barbee said...

All this talk about heat...we get some of that here in Dallas too.

Do you find your use of the black fabric/plastic gives you issues? I'm afreaid to use it because of that-but golly-you sure are successful.

Kris said...

Barbee, I haven't noticed any issues personally. I think it is worth it so I don't spend time weedimg during the heat of summer.