I spent Friday night and Saturday morning planting my first batch of field peas. I decided to plant Zipper Creams and I am so glad to be done. I let the weeds in my first batch of corn get out of control. It was a very tough job getting the area prepped so I could replant my peas.
I started by cutting the weeds with my lawnmower on a high setting. I then used my small tiller to make several passes and break out the weeds. It was a tedious process of tilling, raking, and repeating until most of the weeds were gone.
As a side note, the tiller I have is actually a tiller attachment that connects to my weedeater. It worked pretty good, the only complaint I have is that the tines are kind of small and kept getting tangled with weeds. I had to stop several times to clear the tines of debris. I wish I had a big boy tiller, but this attachment was only $89 bucks and I didn't want to shell out a lot of money for a full size tiller. I also like it because I can use it easily to get in between rows to weed.
Once I got everything ready, I planted 150 feet of zipper creams using my Earthway precision garden seeder. I am so glad I have this, while prepping was a nightmare planting the seed was effortless using my seeder. Once the seeds sprout I am going to lay weed fabric between the rows to prevent the weeds from getting out of control.
A big time mess with the remaining corn in the background.
Close up of the weed jungle.
It is no wonder my corn yields suffered.
This is after I ran over it with my mower.
After several passes with the tiller and raking the weeds out.
Finished project with six rows of seed planted.